Thank you to all those who voted. The votes will now be collated with the winners to be announced at the Annual Town Meeting on 18 March.
The Annual Town Meeting and Community Awards 2021 will take place virtually on 18th March 2021.
The Annual Town Meeting will be held on Thursday 18 March 2021 at 7:00pm in the following location: www.gotomeet.me/AndyCurtis/annual-town-meeting
You can also dial in using your phone +44 330 221 0088 (charges may apply) Access Code if requested: 520-040-261
The meeting will be chaired by the Mayor of Newquay. Any reports are to follow with verbal reports at the meeting.
Annual Parish Meeting
Newquay Town Council is required by law to hold an Annual Parish Meeting between March and June. Generally it is held in March. This is a fantastic opportunity for Newquay Town Council to explain to the public what it has been working on over the past year and allows Newquay residents to ask questions and express their views on matters they consider of importance.
Anyone can attend this meeting however a reminder only registered electors can speak and vote. Questions put forward can be about anything in the Parish and does not have to relate to Newquay Town Council and its services. The Mayor and Councillors will be present but not in their official capacity. The Mayor will chair the meeting (or Deputy-Mayor in his absence). If not, those present vote on who may chair the meeting.
Following on from the Annual Parish Meeting Newquay Town Council often hosts its Annual Awards Ceremony for the Community Awards Scheme (see further information below).
Please do come along to our Annual Parish Meetings, whether you would like to listen, have your say, find out more about the Newquay, or to watch the Awards Ceremony. It is always an extremely interesting and informative evening for all Newquay residents. We hope to see you there when they take place and look forward to hearing what you have to say about our town!
Newquay Community Award Scheme
The Newquay Town Council Community Awards Scheme is open to individuals or community groups and its purpose is to recognise those unsung heroes living, working or studying in Newquay, who have made an exceptional difference by helping to put the spirit into the community and improving the quality of life for others.
List of Awards
- Outstanding Individual Citizen Award
- Outstanding Group Award
- Outstanding Young Person Award
- Mayor’s Award
1.1 Criteria for Awards
The awards are for those who make an outstanding contribution to the community. They recognise an individual or community and voluntary groups who have made a positive difference to the local community; or to people who make an extra effort to bring the community together; or those who go out of their way to help others or a charity in their own time. In the case of the Young Person Award the upper age limit is 18 years of age.
Nominations can be submitted for a wide range of endeavours including:
- Community Involvement – such as delivering an innovation or idea that makes a profound impact in aid of the community.
- Providing extraordinary service to the Community – Going the extra mile.
- Selfless actions that affect/involve others to improve the quality of life.
- An outstanding achievement – for example, an act of bravery.
- Gained exceptional recognition for Newquay at Regional/National level.
- Outstanding achievement in their field – such as sports or culture.
- Significantly improving the environment of the town.
1.2 Who Can Nominate?
With the exception of the Mayor’s Award, which will be nominated by the Mayor, anyone can nominate an individual or group that fit the above criteria.
1.3 Nomination Process
Nominations can be made between 11 February 2021 and 25 February 2021. Once the closing date has passed, entries will be checked by the Town Clerk to ensure criteria are met.
Nominations can be made by completing the online form. Usually, applicants would be able to complete a hard copy from the Visit Newquay Tourist Information Centre or Library/Information Service. However, due to the pandemic, forms are only able to be completed online. If you do not have internet access, you can call (01637) 878388 and the Newquay Town Council office staff will be able to fill in the online form on your behalf. Only fully completed forms will be accepted.
The public will then have the opportunity to vote on the nominated candidates. Voting can be done through the Town Council website or by calling the office on (01637) 878388. Voting will be open from 26 February 2021 to 15 March 2021. Should no nominations be received for a category then no award will be made. In this instance the Council reserves the right not to make an award.
Previous Community Award Scheme Winners
- Outstanding Individual – Jon Goodman
- Outstanding Group – Friends of Newquay Hospital
- Outstanding Youth – George Houston
- Mayors’ Award – Denis and Jan Dent
- Outstanding Individual – Chrissie Jackson
- Outstanding Group – Newquay Surf Lifesaving Club
- Outstanding Youth – Jago Bradshaw
- Mayors’ Award – Matthew Kenworthy Gomes and Nathaniel Kenworthy Gomes
- Outstanding Individual – Lynn Bartrip-Kay
- Outstanding Group – DISC Newquay
- Outstanding Youth – Mason & Phoebe Nelmes
- Mayors’ Award – Norman and Janet Bailey