The Newquay Town Council Community Awards Scheme is open to individuals or community groups and its purpose is to recognise those unsung heroes living, working or studying in Newquay, who have made an exceptional difference by helping to put the spirit into the community and improving the quality of life for others.
List of Awards
- Outstanding Individual Citizen Award
- Outstanding Group Award
- Outstanding Young Person Award
- Mayor’s Award
1.1 Criteria for Awards
The awards are for those who make an outstanding contribution to the community. They recognise an individual or community and voluntary groups who have made a positive difference to the local community; or to people who make an extra effort to bring the community together; or those who go out of their way to help others or a charity in their own time. In the case of the Young Person Award the upper age limit is 18 years of age.
Nominations can be submitted for a wide range of endeavours including:
- Community Involvement – such as delivering an innovation or idea that makes a profound impact in aid of the community.
- Providing extraordinary service to the Community – Going the extra mile.
- Selfless actions that affect/involve others to improve the quality of life.
- An outstanding achievement – for example, an act of bravery.
- Gained exceptional recognition for Newquay at Regional/National level.
- Outstanding achievement in their field – such as sports or culture.
- Significantly improving the environment of the town.
1.2 Who Can Nominate?
With the exception of the Mayor’s Award, which will be nominated by the Mayor, anyone can nominate an individual or group that fit the above criteria. You must ensure that you obtain the consent of the person you are nominating and that they are agreeable to being put forward in the public vote. Previous winners are not eligible to be nominated.
1.3 Nomination Process
Nominations can be made on any of the categories apart from the Mayor’s award. They can only be submitted between 10 February 2023 and 24 February 2023 . Once the closing date has passed, entries will be checked by the Town Clerk or relevant officer to ensure criteria are met.
Nominations can be made by completing the online form. If you do not have internet access, you can call (01637) 878388 and the Newquay Town Council office staff will be able to fill in the online form on your behalf. Only fully completed forms will be accepted
The public will then have the opportunity to vote on the nominated candidates. Voting can be done through the online form on Town Council website or by calling the office on (01637) 878388. Voting will be open from 03 March 2023 to 13 March 2023. Should no nominations be received for a category then no award will be made. In this instance the Council reserves the right not to make an award.
- Previous Community Awards winners from the last 2 financial years.
- Incomplete or inaccurate information supplied by either Nominator or Nominee.
- The justification provided by the Nominator does not meet any of the Criteria for Awards.
- The Nominee has not provided consent for their personal data to be shared.
- There is evidence of lobbying for a specific Nominee. Such lobbying is with members, officers and/or friends of the nominee.
- The nominee or those nominating the nominee are in a current or recent (within 5 years) dispute, legal action or have been fined by the Council.
- The nominee or the nominator has previously had funding withdrawn or clawed back by the Council as a result of their actions or the actions of an organisation they represent.
- The nominee or the nominator has an outstanding or unpaid bill with the Council and therefore not in good fiscal standing with the Council
- The nominee or nominator has disrupted a past Council meeting, awards process or ceremony or a consultation event of the Council or has acted in any form of malicious or misleading way which has caused the Council to utilise resources to correct the record/media or stop the behaviour of that individual concerned.
The nominator is responsible for obtaining the nominee’s consent to have his/her/their personal data shared to the Town Council and their name put to the public vote if the nominee is deemed eligible.
The nominee should also ensure that the nominator’s contact details are provided in full and are up to date and accurate. Any forms which have incomplete or inaccurate information will not be considered valid.
Where more than one person nominates a Community Group/Individual, Newquay Town Council reserves the right to select an appropriate supporting statement from those submitted when publicising candidates for the public vote.
The Council’s reserves all rights in relation to the decision on the validity of nominations or any subsequent disqualification of entries or indeed votes and such decision(s) shall be final with no ability to appeal the process.