Newquay Town Council submitted a stage-two funding bid under the Coastal Community Fund for just under £500,000 to enhance the Killacourt® in Newquay. The bid was approved in March, and plans are now underway to transform the Killacourt®, retaining it as an important green space that can continue to be relevant for growing events and economic activity.
Newquay Town Council was granted £499,702 by the Government’s Coastal Communities Fund as part of a new round of grants worth £36 million to projects up and down the Great British Coast. The Killacourt® is one of 20 projects across the south west which will benefit from over £15.4 million from this round of coastal communities funding to help develop and improve tourist attractions, create jobs and promote socio-economic growth.
Newquay Town Council’s bid captured the interest of the Government’s Coastal Community Fund, which outlined the need to see investment in the Killacourt®, in order to retain it as an important green space that can continue to be relevant for events and increase footfall to the town.
There will also be investment and various improvements in the band-stand and kiosk area as well as accessibility improvements to all pavements, which are planned to be up-lit of an evening with new sustainable tree planting – helping those with buggies or indeed wheelchair users to have full use of the Killacourt®. Modern features such as noise reducing fencing and planting seek to reduce the impact of existing and growing events on neighbouring properties, whilst also protecting or indeed improving their existing views and vistas.
The kiosk will also be replaced with a Farmer’s Market, and a restaurant/café will be built behind the bandstand, overlooking the iconic Island House.
The overall aim of the Killacourt® enhancements are to protect the views, not to impact neighbouring properties, to create better use of the land, to boost events and ultimately increase footfall to Newquay’s Town Centre.
The Master Plan of the Killacourt® has been designed, focusing on moveable business ‘incubator units’ placed on the curtilage of the Killacourt; providing opportunities for small businesses and sole traders/community groups to hire out the units for events and on a flexible basis to trade goods and services; with a priority on goods that are not provided elsewhere in the Town.
Newquay Town Council is now opening up the opportunity for a contractor to tender for the primary landscaping works for the project.
Key objectives of the Tender are:
- Site preparation for a New café area (please note the café building will be sourced and supplied by the Council)
- Refurbishment of the bandstand
- Site preparation for 12 business units (please note the business units themselves will be sourced and supplied by the Council)
- Paths throughout the site
- Planting of trees, shrubs and grasses and after completion of the works ongoing maintenance for 12 months
- Electrification of the site for events
- Lighting (but not CCTV)
- The successful contractor will be required to work closely with the Council on final details such as finish colours and seating arrangements.
- The successful contractor will be appointed by The Council under the JCT Intermediate Form of Building Contract 1998 Edition incorporating Amendments 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- The Council have appointed Meiloci Landscape Architects Ltd to act as the Council’s Project Manager and as Contract Administrator for this Project.
A link to the Contract Finder Notice can be found here: